Sunday, May 20, 2012

There's no such thing as an easy play

What a great day that will be when all the questions, problems, and issues can be answered simply and thoroughly. What a great day that will be when everyone's goal is the same. What a great day that will be when there's no jealousy, envy, or strife. What day am I talking about? THE day that makes all other days make sense. I don't know about you, but I find myself, often, faced with the all-to-common feeling of, "Why can't I ever seem to get a handle on things?" As I'm coaching 7th grade baseball, a theme has come back around often: There's no easy play. As I've reminded them about this fact, I've seen some improvement at not taking any play for granted, at being ready for whatever may come our way and, most importantly, at keeping our heads in the game. After every out, everyone needs to be telling everyone else how many outs. Whenever the situation changes everyone needs to know how that changes what they do as a batter, runner, pitcher, or fielder. Only in baseball can you go at such a pace that you're able to take inventory and consider your options. With all the issues, questions, strife, and change, we need a down time in which we take inventory and consider our options. That down time should not only be a purposeful slowing down, but it should also be a reminder of what the situation is and how we ought to respond. Among other things, we need to remind ourselves of basic truths about THE day: God is in control of it, I am not. God wins and I want to be on the winning side. Today will matter only if it's been lived under His mighty hand. In this life (before THE day), there is no such thing as an easy day, an easy answer, or an easy way out. Yet, as we submit to the One in control, may this life be full of joy because you're on the right team.

No comments:

Post a Comment